Wednesday, March 27, 2013

SewcieTea Practice Dress #2


Do you remember the first practice version of my SewcieTea dress? With some minor modifications I've sewn up another practice version. This one is made from a lightweight cotton sateen that I bought at Spotlight in December, with some black poplin from GJs for the contrast sections.


The biggest change to this version is the addition of a solid facing (of sorts) on the outside of the neckline, and an added waistband piece (also in solid).


After getting grumpy that my last version didn't have any pockets, I added an in-seam pocket to this version. Only one though, as I couldn't be bothered to faff around putting one in the same side as the zip.


Because of the added neckline facing I had to modify the order of construction so that the shoulder seams were sewn first rather than towards the end. I'm really happy with the finish that I got, and as I didn't find anything about this kind of finish when hunting on the web thought I might put together a tutorial on how I did it when I sew up my final version. Is there any interest for that?


The other minor changes in this version were making the armholes slightly larger, and adding some extra length to the front (but not back) of the bodice to make the waistline/waistband sit level on my waist.

   

Obviously, since it has another circle skirt, obligatory twirling shots ;)


I'm happy enough with this version that (I think) I'm ready to move onto the actual thing and cut into the liberty over the Easter weekend. I'm still a bit scared, but I need to bite the bullet and get on with it.



Wish me luck!

16 comments:

  1. This is my favourite version yet, it's very polished. I think you will do your grandma's liberty justice! Good luck with the cutting. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, I love it! Yes please to the tutorial btw, I'd be interested. What pattern did you use for this dress? It looks very similar to the New Look 6799 pattern that I recently bought. Hoping mine will turn out as nice as yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "pattern" is actually my self drafted bodice that I used for (among other things) my peacock dress (http://www.mymessings.com/2013/02/peacock-dress.html) with a changed up neckline and armhole. The skirt is just a circle, but I used the skirt piece for vogue 2092 (http://www.mymessings.com/2012/08/international-bridesmaids-dresses.html).

      Delete
  3. Oh wow! That contrast neckline and waistband are absolutely smashing! Rach, I love this!!! I would absolutely love a tutorial as well :D Time to Liberty up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No luck is required. The practice dresses have spoken! Go forth and CUT!!
    :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love this fabric. The black accents are perfect with it too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your Liberty version will be amazing! Do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is lovely! I particularly enjoy the contrasting bits at the waist and neckline. And the skirt... who doesn't love a swirly skirt!?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! This is such a gorgeous dress! The contrast really make the gorgeous print pop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, it's official, we are fabric twins! I have that fabric too, in the red/yellow colour-way, I am lining a coat with it, it's going to be awesome just like your dress! Great twirling shots, excited to see the liberty version :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tutorial please! This kind of amazing needs to go forth on the Internet.

    Excellent swirling capability I note.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your sewing is reaching new heights.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rachel the changes you made have paid off as this dress looks fantastic on you and it doesn't look like you could get a better fit. And oh yes you just have to do the "Twirl" and they are so much fun... I couldn't help myself either lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks and fits perfectly. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. it looks great! I really like the contrasting neckline and waistband, you've done a great job on this dress!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...