Friday, July 8, 2011

Guilt Free Diet Breaking

I'm on a self-imposed fabric diet at the moment.I'm trying to not buy any fabric but to finish WIPs and make things out of the fabric I already have. However, there are a few exceptions that allow me to break my diet guilt free, and a purchase I made last week was one such exception.

I have been pondering what to use for the back of my genome quilt ever since I started it. Initially I was considering a pieced back with the same fabrics as the front in a coin quilt style design. But then I worked out exactly how much fabric I'd need to do that and my student budget got a little overwhelmed and I abandoned that idea.

I have since decided that I'm going to hand quilt this quilt, so decided that the less seams on the back the better, as the front of the quilt has enough bulk in it, I don't want to make the quilting any harder than it needs to be. So since making that decision I've been keeping an eye out for suitable fabric. Obviously the fabric needed to fit into the colour scheme of the quilt, but I also didn't want anything too busy, but equally didn't want a solid - I want some small disguise to my inevitably messy quilting!


Then I saw this fabric at GJs at the SASE last month and got a swatch of it to compare with my fabrics in the quilt. After comparing it to my quilt blocks and thinking about it for a month I went back last weekend to buy some. It is in their backing section, so is 2.4m wide (I think, it may be wider), it really is one massive square of fabric. It was still only $20/m, meaning that as I only had to get about 2.5m, the back cost about $50 rather than over $100 as it would with normal quilting fabric due to having to buy twice that length. Another bonus is that my quilt back will have NO seams at all! The fabric is also really soft, particularly now I've pre-washed it.

I really love how it looks with all of the fabrics in the quilt (as much as that matters for the back) and I think I'm going to bind the quilt with a navy blue to even out the green/blue balance.

The next decision is batting... any suggestions/tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...