Saturday, December 27, 2014

A quilt for baby-squirrel


This is another seriously overdue blog post, as I made this quilt about 9 months ago, eek! Time flies when you're being slack.

This quilt was a gift that I made for Sarah and her newest bub.


While that seems nice and selfless, I was a great excuse for me to use the woodland animal (plus blue giraffe??) fabric I have used as a feature, which has been in my stash for aages. I had seen the fabric at a quilt show and couldn't resist buying it because it's so cute, even though I had no plans for it whatsoever (unusal for me).


I then selected other fabrics from my stash that coordinated with the animals for the rest of the quilt top. To finish off the quilt I bought coordinating backing and binding.


To design the quilt I sketched up the design on squared paper, carefully mazximising the use of the woodland fabric, and also the solid orange I'd decided to use, which with some very careful cutting I used almost every scrap of (hence needing to buy different fabric for binding).


I also used this quilt as a way to have a bit of a practice with free motion quilting before embarking on a bigger (also as yet unblogged) project, just to make sure my free motion skills weren't completely rusty.



And I'll leave you with some lovely pics of the tiny recipient on the quilt (she's not this tiny anymore!)...

2 comments:

  1. It's a lovely gift that hopefully will be passed down to another generation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is freaking awesome, Rach! You always make the most beautiful quilt gifts! I love the giraffes :D

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...