Thursday, March 11, 2010

Finally some dress progress...

This weekend just gone I stitched up the esprit dress that's been in the works for a while.


I had made the alterations indicated necessary by my muslin:
- A sway back adjustment
- I pinched about 1.5cm out of the top of the centre back seam, tapering that down to about the waist.
- I added about 1.5cm to the side seams of the skirt from a little above the hips downwards
- I pinched out some of the excess fabric around the top of the front princess seams.

I hadn't included seam allowances on my pattern pieces so it took a VERY long time to mark seam allowances onto the fabric and cut out the pieces. However, once that was done it came together very quickly.

I still need to hem it and I have to work out the best way to finish the arm holes (probably just with biased binding), but it's almost there. I think a couple of buttons are needed for this dress too; to hold the pockets closed as they're a bit gapey at the moment.

Also, something I hadn't noticed on the muslin (as I didn't include the pockets so didn't really think about it) is that the pockets are probably a little lower than they should be. It's not a disaster - I can still reach the bottom of the pockets while I'm wearing the dress, but if I were to use this pattern again I'd move the pockets up about 1-2 inches, as where they sit at the moment they proportions aren't quite right. You live, you learn, right?

What's up next? A break from wardrobe project garments, The Madeline Mini Bloomers from Colette patterns in some blue gingham from my stash.

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh, it's looking loveleee! I agree with bias-bound armholes I think that would be really smart.
    I really like that pleating detail and the wide round neckline. It's gonna be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice Rachel = it's going o be very stylish on...

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...