Sunday, January 24, 2010

A case of the distractions...

I certainly have a case of the distractions at the moment - I have far too many things on the go. Last night I had the need (yes, need) to cut into the pile of old jeans in my sewing corner. My logic was that a pile of squares of denim takes up much less space than a pile of jeans (and incidentally I was right).

So I set about cutting 6 inch squares out of the good parts of 4 pairs of jeans that would otherwise have gone into the bin due to holes in unfortunate places or broken zippers etc. I found I got an average of 18 squares from each pair (although that would depend on the previous owner of the jeans - jeans from someone taller than me would give more squares obviously!). I also cut some strips that could potentially be joined to make 6" squares.


I now have 75 squares, and I think I'll need maybe about twice as much again (depending on what size quilt I make out of them). I thought they'd make a good picnic quilt, nice and hardy! And no, surely there's no such thing as too many quilts? My housemate thinks there is, but I'm convinced she's wrong...

3 comments:

  1. That's a great idea for a picnic quilt! Who wants to put their designer fabrics on the ground?!?! I'm amazed at how many squares you could get from just four pairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Can't wait to see the finished product. I may just have to make one like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen the denim quilts Alicia at Lucy's Quilts makes?

    Link here: http://lucysquilts.blogspot.com/2009/12/denim-quilts.html

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...