Tuesday, September 21, 2010

New York state of mind

I have discovered that fabric shopping in Melbourne and fabric shopping in New York require two completely different mindsets. (this is fabric shopping for garments that I'm talking about, i haven't done any quilt fabric shopping in New York)

Fabric shopping in Melbourne requires having a vague idea of what patterns are available, then going to the fabric store(s) and looking at what's there and deciding what to make once you see what fabric is available.

Fabric shopping in New York on the other hand is the exact opposite. You need to decide exactly what you want before you go and then when you get to the store you tell them exactly what you're looking for and chances are they'll have it. Or if the first store you try doesn't one of the six thousand other stores will!

The problem with my fabric shopping last week in New York was that I didn't think of this and started my day in a Melbourne fabric shopping state of mind, which I quickly discovered wasn't compatible with New York fabric stores!

Thankfully I got over that problem pretty quickly and bought some fabric and some other bits and pieces. Sadly as I'm posting this from my iPhone I can't upload pictures of what I got, but I will once I get home to Melbourne the end of next week.

2 comments:

  1. ohh exciting - looking forward to seeing your souveneirs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found this post from the link you had on scared stitchless... I'm planning to go next year so will definitely keep this concept in mind!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...