Saturday, April 6, 2013

Audiobooks Update (Part 3)

In my last Audiobook update I told you about some of the audiobooks that I've bought from Audible lately, this time I'm going to share some thoughts on the ones I've borrowed from my local libraries...

Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin. I grabbed this one from the library as I had recently seen the film adaptation and enjoyed it so thought I would listen to the original (audio)book. I really quite enjoyed the audiobook, to the point that I got another Emily Giffin audiobook with one of my audible credits.

How to break your own heart by Maggie Alderson. I listened to this audiobook on a long car journey, and think I 'overdosed' on it. I ended up turning it off before the end of my return trip and it took me a little while to bother coming back to finish it off. But I did, and I was glad I did as I did enjoy listening to the last third in smaller chunks. I think if I'd listened to the whole thing how I normally listen to audiobooks (in short to medium chunks) I would have preferred it. It was nothing particularly special, but nothing terrible either.

 
Pants on Fire by Maggie Alderson. I preferred this one to the above 'how to break your own heart', but not by much. This one was set in Sydney, so it was interesting hearing the authors take on sydney-siders (especially since I'm not such a fan of Sydney myself). As the above book, it was nothing special but a nice mindless listen. After the two Maggie Alderson books I don't think I'd bother listening to any more in a hurry. But they were worth what I paid for them ;)


 
Something Blue by Emily Giffin. This book was the first that I have listened to using the Bolinda Audio "Borrow Box" app. After downloading the free app from the app store, I just had to plug in my library login details and voila! A whole host of audiobooks were available to me. If borrowbox is available at your library I recommend checking it out.
 I picked this one since it is the sequel to the above 'something borrowed'. I was hesitant about listening to it to start with, as it is written from the point of view of Darcy, the best friend of the main character, Rachel, in the first book. I didn't have a particularly good impression of Darcy, and I like to be able to root for the main character of the book when listening, or at least empathise with them. I spent the entire audiobook hoping for something to change my option about Darcy, and sadly nothing did.

Julie and Julia by Julie Powell. I was really excited to have spotted this audiobook at the library, as I LOVED the movie when it came out (to the point that I even wrote a quick blog post about it). However, I was terribly disappointed by the book. I have the utmost respect for the person that read the book, thought it would make a good film and managed to make the fantastic screen-play that the film became! Because the book was (in my opinion) pretty bad. As with the above book I kept hoping that something would happen that would make me start liking Julie. I feel bad saying this about a real person, but she just came across as whiney and self centred. As much as I wanted to be rooting for her to succeed in her project, I just couldn't. I think this is the first time I've ever said this, but this is one where I would steer clear of the book and just watch the film.

  
The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins. I got on board and read The Hunger Games trilogy last August. Warned that they would be a bit all-consuming, I waited to start reading them until I knew I had plenty of time. After having some minor surgery I was instructed to rest for about a week, so I thought that would be the perfect opportunity to read them. Two days later and I had devoured all three (and not gotten as much sleep as I probably should have). When I spotted them in the library recently I got them out (one at a time, I'm not that crazy!) and devoured them almost as quickly. I actually quite like listening to audiobooks where I know the story (either because I've read or listened to them before), I find it relaxing. If you haven't read these, I really do recommend them, they're amazing, but as I've said above, expect to devour them so don't start reading when you're busy with other things, although if you listened to them instead of read them at least there is a degree of multi-tasking that you could do while listening.

What have you been reading or listening to lately? Any recommendations for me?

3 comments:

  1. I am reading 'Rachels Holiday' by Marian Keyes, it's such an easy read and going ok actually! Love the name of the main character ;-) tee hee


    Bundana @
    http://www.bundana.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm listening to good omens, by terry pratchett and Neil gaiman. It's full of lols

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - just come across your blog for the first time and had to comment! I totally concur with your conclusions about Julie & Julia. Book Julie wasn't very appealing at all! Movie MUCH better than the book.
    Am reading "Wolf Hall"by Hilary Mantel, and will probably follow it up with "Bring up the Bodies". Fictionalised story of Thomas Cromwell and the court of Henry XIII. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...