Wednesday, October 14, 2009

52 crafts...

At the beginning of the year, before I started this blog I signed up to a group on livejournal called 52_crafts, the concept of which was the goal of creating 52 items in a year; i.e. an average of one per week.

I thought it might be nice to take a look back at what I've made so far this year to see how badly 'behind' I am on the '52 in 52' ideal... To put things into context, this week is week 41 of the year (eek scary!).

And so, onto my list:
  1. White & Beige striped shirt
    New years day was spent at my sewing machine, starting the year as I meant to go on; working on my sewing skills through practice, practice, practice. The first item of the year was a shirt - my first shirt in fact. While it's not the best in the world, I don't think it's too bad... although sadly I've only worn it once, owing to the fact that I can't lift my arms very far in it, and I'm also a little self conscious in it due to the size of the collar. However, not a disaster, so a good start to the year!

  2. Tank Top for Sally
    Originally supposed to be for me, but I didn't quite factor in the fact that the tank I was tracing to use as a pattern was made of MUCH stretchier material than what I was using, so came out a few sizes too small! Thankfully my friend Sally is pretty much exactly that many sizes smaller than me and the top fits her perfectly, and after cautiously agreeing to try it on after I told her about my mistake she declared that it was great, and just the right length as it was long enough not to ride up while she is cycling.

  3. Tank Top for Me
    After the minor- disaster of the previous tank top, I ploughed on and after rummaging through my wardrobe for a tank top made of a similar material I made another one, which came out just the right size and now gets a lot of wear.

  4. Skirt for Jacinta
    A few days after last year's Christmas party my friend Jacinta called me up to ask me a question. She wasn't exactly sure how to ask, but wanted to know if the offer I made her at the Christmas party was still up for grabs... now at the Christmas party I may have overindulged on the free wine, especially after Brad won 'best dressed male' with the costume that I'd helped him make (a Dorothy dress, the prize being a Nintendo Wii!).
    Anyway, due to this I didn't exactly remember what the offer was that I had supposedly made, which I told Jacinta. She then informed me that I had offered to help her make something sometime, to which my response was "sounds like something I'd say, of course I would!" so we made the arrangement that for her Birthday present I would make her a skirt with the fabric of her choice.
    She came over one evening and together we made her skirt, so in addition to the skirt she now has the memories of us making it together, which was great fun - including when I had her pressing the seams outside in the garden as it was so ridiculously hot I didn't want her heating up the living room any more than it already was!

    There was then a bit of a dirth of finished projects in Feb and March, I like to think due to a short holiday to the Gold Coast and having my committee meeting at work, but realistically probably more likely due to sunny days and being lazy!

  5. Couch Quilt
    The next item that I finished was my beloved couch quilt. Made from 4" squares of all the various fabrics I had lying around, it's the first quilt I've ever finished and has been greatly appreciated through the winter months. It also gives me happy feelings inside each time I look at it as each square has memories through the fabric that it's made from.

  6. Plastic bag holder
    A quick and dirty project, but a lifesaver in the kitchen. I made a very basic plastic bag holder by cutting the leg off an unwanted pair of camo-pants at the knee, hemming and adding elastic at each end and a hoop to hang it with.

  7. Bear Nightshirt
    I have a bear. I love my bear and he keeps me company on cold and/or lonely nights. The rest of the time he lives on the corner of my bed. My bear had a t-shirt emblazoned with "I Love You" across the front that I was a bit fed up with, but without his t-shirt he just looks just a bit naked, so I decided to make him a new one. I traced the shirt he has to make a pattern and then had a root through my stash and stumbled upon some fabric that was in the bundle of fabric that my mum's friend Pamela had given me that was the PERFECT material for PJs, but not enough to make something for me out of... so I modified the pattern slightly and made my bear an old-fashioned nightshirt.

  8. Argyle pj bottoms
    By this point we're getting towards the end of April and the weather was starting to cool down, so I decided to make a pair of warm PJ bottoms. The argyle fabric I'd bought when I was looking through the flannelette section of Spotlight for the backing fabric for my couch quilt, and fell in love with it instantly, picking it up and adding it to my 'to buy' pile without even stopping to second-guess myself - which was certainly not a mistake. The PJ bottoms I made out of it are the most comfortable ones I own; just that little bit too long to keep my feet warm, just the right amount of baggy-ness that they don't ride up my legs while I'm in bed but are still comfy, they sit at just the right spot on my hips, and I even included pockets, which I find very handy in PJs yet not very common. So yeah, these PJ bottoms are just like Mary Poppins - practically perfect in every way.

  9. Coffee Date Dress
    At the beginning of May my friend Sally (a different one from before) had a cocktail party for her 30th, for which I needed a dress (well I could have probably found one in my wardrobe to wear pretty easily, but any excuse!) so I decided to try making a coffee date dress. I possibly stupidly embarked on making the dress during the week before the party, buying and washing it one night, then marking on the cutting lines for the pattern pieces (as the pattern doesn't include seam allowances) another night and then spending the entire Saturday sewing it. Thankfully the pattern came together very easily, and with only a few alterations I had a dress for the party that I like very much!

    And at this point my blogging began... so I will not go into the detail I have done with the items on the list up until this point, as it is detailed in other posts.

  10. Stripey JJ

  11. Calico 'plastic bag'

  12. "Snippets of projects past" bed quilt

  13. "Amy S" hoodie
    I don't know if it was the pattern or me, but my attempt at the Amy S Hoodie from Burdastyle was a complete disaster in too many different ways to go into... oh well, we live and learn!

  14. Toga Dress for Jacinta
    Not blogged about, but I spend a few hours one weekend helping Jacinta make a toga-esque dress for a party.

  15. Coffee Date Tank Top
    At the time I questioned whether this was a hit or a miss... it's only been worn once, and even then reluctantly, so I'm reckoning on miss I'm afraid.

  16. Rolling Stones tongue 'plastic bag'

  17. Blue & Red PJs
    I have only posted about the bottoms, but the other week I also finished the top to make the set of PJs. The bottoms are made with the same pattern as the previous argyle ones, but for some reason aren't quite as good. The pattern for the top I made by tracing the top of a pair of PJs that I bought at Myer a few years back and extending the sleeves. I didn't really know what I was doing when putting it together, particularly the collar, but I kind of made it up as I went along and it worked out alright in the end.

  18. Hexacushion
    The beginnings of my addition to hexagons... which may not be evident or visible at the moment but it's definitely still there, lurking under the surface waiting to pounce.

  19. Little Bouquet Wallhanging
    I haven't posted photos yet but this is now finished... Photos will be posted soon, promise.


  20. 2 pairs of oven gloves as gifts
    Not yet posted about here as they have not been received by their recipients - although after learning about the postal strike in the UK last Friday I'm now worried that the pair that have been posted to England will never arrive. If I'd known about the strike I wouldn't have posted them until it was over.

  21. Peg holder bag
    And lastly, the most recent finished item - a super basic peg bag, made of calico with a few buttons across the top to attach it either straight to the line or to a coat hanger. I have been planning on making one for ages, and finally got fed up and made a quick make-shift one until I get around to making a nice one some other time.
So, 41 weeks, 22 finished items... I don't think that's too bad, especially since two of them were full sized quilts. However, if I still want to aim for 52 it leaves me with 11 weeks (eek, the year's gone so fast!) to make another 30 things... which I think is maybe a tad ambitious! I have another 6 items in progress (yes my attention span is that short), another three that I have planned and have the fabric for and another quilt in the works (but I'm not anticipating even trying to finish before the end of the year) and a few other smaller things I'd like to have a go at, including a few planned gifts and a softie for Mirabel.

...I think I'll conclude that at the moment it's possible but unlikely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...