Monday, December 17, 2012

Kris Kringle is now a knitter...

My new work has a Kris Kringle, and I spent ages trying to decide what to get for my person. Then the other night I had a brainwave while I was wandering around the shops in the city; I decided to knit a cowl. So off I went to Morris and Sons and bought a ball of yarn.


On the weekend I spent some time on Ravelry looking at patterns, and fell in love with the "Clara Cowl" pattern. Despite having a different size needle to what's recommended, I decided to go ahead with the pattern anyway.

 

It was a quick knit, and I finished the cowl this evening. I'm so happy with it! It's amazing how some clever (and quite tricky due to the number of stitches) cabling can make the knitting look like it's plaited!

 

The cowl is joined into a tube using a kitchener stitch, but I think I had my stitches on the needle the wrong way around, because my kitchener stitch isn't invisible like it's supposed to be (see below). Nevermind, you win some, you loose some.


You might be wondering what possessed me to knit an alpaca/merino cowl as a Christmas gift for someone in Australia? Well if you are that's a perfectly reasonable thing to wonder. However, there is method to my madness, as the recipient of my gift is headed over to Europe in March, so hopefully a nice warm cowl will come in useful for that trip.


And just incase it's not their thing, as a backup I've also chucked in a couple of yummy bars of chocolate from the Oxfam shop; this one and this one to be exact - do yourself a favour and grab some next time you pass an Oxfam shop, as they're delish!

2 comments:

  1. I wish I was the receiver of this KK present!!! I've always wanted a handmade cowl or infinity scarf!!! Oxfam shop rocks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neeno. Only two more sleeps until it's KK time! Everyone's been going to examine the basket and try and guess what things are, it's hillarious!

      Delete

Comments make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...