Friday, April 15, 2011

AQC - Some favourites

Some gorgeous appliquéd gum leaves

Yesterday I visited the Australasian Quilt Convention with Kirsty, Marg and Esther. I missed out last year because I was over in Perth while it was on, so I've had it in my diary since this time last year to keep this weekend clear.

This set of quilts were all quilted so accurately with quilting patterns that really added to the simple designs.

There were heaps of stalls from different companies selling soooo much stuff, and I was well behaved - I stuck to my "fabric diet" and didn't buy any fabric. The only thing I bought was a pair of medium sized scissors which I've been meaning to get for a while, I can throw away the crappy ones I have now and stop using my shears to snip delicate little things.

 
An entire alphabet of so so so intricate flower fairies - amazing!

I know it's unfair to compare it to the Festival of Quilts that I went to last year, but it's hard not to, as that's the only quilt show I've really been to before this one. The show part of this one was much much much smaller, but there were still some AMAZING quilts on show.

I think it's the black and white background that draws me to this quilt the most, the flowers just stand out so much more.

I left the others mid-afternoon, but went back later in the afternoon to have another quick look around before it closed (well, the show is about 200m from my house and was on my way home, what can a girl do??!) and snapped some photos.

What Pomme doesn't love a good union jack quilt??

I forgot to take my camera so these are phone photos so apologies for the fuzziness. Smattered through this post are some of my favourite quilts from the show.

So many beautiful dresden plates, and hand quilting on top of that.
Do you see the detail of the dresdens overlapping with the corners of the borders? amazing!

If you're in or near Melbourne and free this weekend I highly recommend paying the show a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...