Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Happy Birthday Dad!!

The main reason that my blogging was quiet through much of November isn't because I wasn't doing any sewing, but because I was working on a very special gift; a birthday present for my Dad.



I found these fabrics on the internets, and after brainstorming over a design I bought some. I was very impressed by the service provided by the site; they responded overnight (for me) to my email enquiry, and once I bought the fabric it arrived MUCH quicker than I was expecting, 7 days later I had the fabric in my grubby little hands (which I washed before handling the fabric).



The piecing of the quilt top was straight forward and pretty quick to piece. I chose a design that took advantage of showing off the prints on the fabrics and adding some plain black poplin as sashing. The finished quilt is a little bit larger than my couch quilt:



I wanted to choose a quilting design that would work well with the fabrics; emphasising them rather than detracting from them. Once I decided what I wanted to do the quilting was a little tricky as the only quilting I've done on a full size quilt was straight lines, so some of it leaves a little to be desired, but overall I'm pretty proud of my efforts.

(click on the below images for bigger versions)

On the "sea of holes" I wiggled between the holes in vaguely diagonal lines:


On the orange I wiggled my way around the different characters:


On the small animation cells down the sides I went around the squares and circles. On each of the four large panels I did a slightly different thing.

On this one I went around the submarine, the circles and the outline of the Beatles, and then stippled around the bubbles in the background:


Similar to the previous one, on this panel I went around the submarine and then stippled around the bubbles:


On this panel I free-motion quilted an echo pattern around the band:


And on this one I did a similar echo pattern around the Beatles and within the hill:



I decided to leave the sashing without any quilting on it, as I wanted the emphasis to be on the Beatles fabric.

For the backing I chose this fabric:


And the binding this pale blue (still from the Beatles range):


So, Dad, I hope you like it.

8 comments:

  1. It's absolutely FAB!

    Many thanks from Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very groovy indeed. My husband's a huge Beatles fan and would love this I'm sure. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's some fantastic work! Your choices for quilting emphasize the pattern of the fabrics really well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel,

    Your dad very proudly sent me this link. Now why didn't you mention you created this masterpiece? I've just spent the past hour and a half (no jokes) reading through your blog and catching up on the projects that I had not seen since I last looked at it (when I was in Alaska!). YOUR BLOG IS A WORK OF ART!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any ideas where I could find the Sea of Holes fabric and the large blocks with the band all together? The pointer to Creative Quilts has some of the fabrics in your quilt but not those two, which I think are the best part of the quilt. Any tips for where I should hunt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't i'm afraid. At the time the fat quarter shop had it too and they don't seem to anymore. I guess it's a few years old now so out of stock. Sorry!

      Delete

Comments make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...