Sunday, December 13, 2009

Quilt Fabric Choosing...

I'm planning on making a couple of baby quilts, so today I spent some enjoyable hours looking a fabric online to get for them. I found that Fabric Shack has a great selection, and more than enough for me to choose from, so this lot will all come from them.

Depressingly it's FAR cheaper to get fabric online than in the shops here, and even though I'd like to support the Australian fabric stores, I'm a poor student so I can't all the time.

Moving on, the quilts I have planned:

Firstly a quilt for a baby boy.

I'm a huge fan of Red Pepper Quilts, all the quilts that she makes are absolutely stunning, in particular this Zig Zag Quilt is amazing and the main inspiration for the quilt I have planned. I intend to make half square triangle zig-zags like hers, but I think I'm going to make it without the white in between to see how that looks. The fabrics I've chosen are the following:







With one of these two for the binding:


And this one on the back:



And secondly, a baby girl quilt.

The inspiration for this quilt is this stunning quilt by Film in the Fridge (who also makes some gorgeous creations). I plan on using a similar colour scheme as hers, but haven't decided on the layout exactly yet - although it will probably heavily feature squares of some kind. The fabrics I've picked for this one are:




With one of these for the binding:

And this on the back:


(note: all of these fabrics are from fabric shack, the filenames of the images are the names to search for on their site)

What do you think? Do you think the quilts will turn out well? Do you think leaving out the white on the zig-zags will make it too busy? Which fabric would you use for each of the bindings?

Once I've decided for certain I need to work out how much of each to buy (and then double check my sums) and order it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...